What is a Spiritually Transformative Experience?Aug 28, 2022
Many people have heard of a NDE, or “near death experience”, but far less have heard of what is called a STE, or “spiritually transformative experience”. Yet, large amounts of people are having them and you might be one of them. This term was coined by Dr. Yvonne Kason in 1994.
A spiritually transformative experience is an experience that occurs, often simultaneously, that brings a new awareness of another reality to a person. This new level of awareness might make it seem like the reality the individual has always known appears less real. This is the same type of occurrence that happens with a near death experience (which can be a type of STE), except it does not have to involve a physical trauma.
I had spiritually transformative experiences as a child, but I was well aware these were not the norm and I was too afraid to talk about it for fear of appearing “different”. I shut this part of myself down as I approached adolescence, but again, as a late teen, they began showing up again in the form of very frequent and strange “coincidences”, feelings of being nudged to explore more but not knowing why, and moments of feeling a connection to an unconditional loving energy that was everywhere. I continued to try my best not to pay attention to them but the experiences intensified as time progressed. In 2010, I had some experiences that turned my world inside out and upside down. Everything I knew about my reality was suddenly unknown. Two weeks after a big STE, I had a near death experience. It is important to me that I share and help normalize these experiences because I know through my practice, that they are actually less common than other people let on in public. I hear about them frequently behind closed doors, but people are afraid to talk about it.
Examples of STE’s
STE’s might occur during meditation, yoga practice, or during a guided experience of some kind, but they also happen to people spontaneously. They can suddenly begin to happen in adulthood, or, they can happen when a person is very young. The type of STE a person has can vary. These are some of the experiences I have heard about in my practice with others, or have experienced myself:
- As a child or adult, you become aware of other entities with consciousness. Some people have reported being aware of individuals who have passed away or crossed over at another time and receiving communication from other beings in this or other dimensions.
- You notice that you have enhanced psychic or channeling abilities and are able to pick up on things others do not notice in the same way that you do.
- Feeling that there is more beyond this life experience. A sense that you are part of something bigger and that there is a oneness you merge into. This is described more as a strong feeling rather than simply a thought. There may be a feeling of unity or connectedness to all things.
- Out of body experiences
- “Downloads” of profound insights, information, wisdom and love that flow into you faster than you can reason through what is occurring in your analytical mind.
- An awareness of a deep unconditional love that is present and available.
- An awareness and grief for a home you don’t really know (in your logical, human mind). This might especially be felt when gazing up at the night sky.
- Past life spontaneous memory recall. This can occur spontaneously in a moment of openness or sometimes a smell, geographic location or encounter with another human might cause these to surface.
- Spontaneously acquired talents you did not previously have
- A near death experience that awakens you to another reality that feels more real than your human existence.
As mentioned above, there are many people having these types of experiences, but in my practice, I’ve observed that few people are comfortable talking about it. Many do not tell their therapists for fear of being pathologized. Others are afraid of what their friends, family or coworkers will think of them.
You’re Not Alone!
Spiritually Transformative Experiences occur can occur with any person. I’ve spoken to scientists, engineers, teachers, people in the healing arts, moms and dads, and many more individuals with a wide variety of backgrounds. The one thing that all of these people have in common is an awareness of a reality that extends beyond what is known and acknowledged by all others in this life.
If you have had an experience you cannot explain through logic or reasoning, reaching out to a community where you can safely explore and discuss is beneficial. Know you are not alone. There are many like you, but most people are not openly discussing it.
Some resources you might find helpful are:
Dying to Be Me, by Anita Moorjani
Journey of Souls, by Dr. Michael Newton
Destiny of Souls, by Dr. Michael Newton
Many Lives, Many Masters, by Dr. Brian Weiss
Only Love is Real, by Dr. Brain Weiss
The Convoluted Universe, by Dolores Cannon
Becoming Supernatural, by Dr. Joe Dispenza
7 Tips to Help When You Have a Spiritually Transformative Experience
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.